In a recent interview with CNN, California Governor Gavin Newsom weighed in on the potential impact of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis running for president in 2024. Newsom expressed concerns that DeSantis, who is seen as a potential successor to former President Donald Trump, could continue the divisive and polarizing politics of the Trump era.
Here are some key points to consider:
- The context: Newsom’s comments were made in the context of the 2024 presidential race, which is already beginning to take shape. DeSantis is seen as a rising star in the Republican Party and a potential contender for the Republican nomination.
- The concerns: Newsom expressed concerns that DeSantis, if he were to run for president and win, would continue the divisive and polarizing politics of the Trump era. Newsom pointed to DeSantis’ controversial actions as governor, including his handling of the COVID-19 pandemic and his signing of a controversial election bill, as evidence of his divisive approach to politics.
- The impact: Newsom’s comments suggest that a DeSantis presidency could have significant implications for the United States, particularly in terms of the country’s political climate. If DeSantis were to continue the polarizing politics of the Trump era, it could potentially deepen the divisions in the country and make it more difficult to address pressing issues such as climate change and social inequality.
- The response: DeSantis has not yet responded directly to Newsom’s comments, but his supporters have pushed back against the idea that he is a divisive figure. They point to his record as governor, which includes tax cuts, increased funding for education, and a focus on job creation, as evidence of his ability to unite people around common goals.
- The potential outcomes: It remains to be seen what impact DeSantis will have on the 2024 presidential race, and whether he will be able to overcome the divisions that have plagued the country in recent years. However, if he is successful in his bid for the presidency, it could potentially have significant implications for the United States and for the world as a whole.
.@GavinNewsom to @jrpsaki on a potential DeSantis 2024 presidential campaign: “He's gonna get rolled by Trump. Trump's just gonna roll him. Thumped. Honestly, if I were offering him political advice, I'd tell him to pack up and wait a few years.” pic.twitter.com/8EJ9uZk6Yi— Inside with Jen Psaki (@InsideWithPsaki) April 9, 2023
Overall, Newsom’s comments on the potential impact of a DeSantis presidency are significant and reflect the concerns of many Americans about the direction of the country. As the 2024 presidential race begins to take shape, it will be important to closely examine the records and policies of all the candidates, and to consider how their leadership could impact the future of the United States and the world.